Medical Coding Certificate
This program is designed to prepare students with the knowledge and skills required for basic medical coding. Students receive an in-depth introduction and practice in procedural coding using the ICD 10-CM/PCS and CPT-4 classification systems. Emphasis is placed on the purpose of coding, definitions of key terms, accurate application of coding principles, and an overview of the impact of prospective reimbursement on the function of coding, principles of classification systems, nomenclatures, indexes, and registers. Students develop coding competency in both hospital and physician practice settings. Upon completion students are eligible to sit for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam offered by the American Health Information Association (AHIMA).
Southeast Arkansas College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
For students who qualify, student loans and local scholarships may be available.
1. High School Diploma (or GED Equivalency)
2. Complete all SEARK College Admission Requirements.
3. Provide one or all of the following test scores:
- Accuplacer Reading score of at least 75
- Next Generation Accuplacer Reading score of at least 250 ACT Reading score of at least 19
- COMPASS Reading score of at least 83, OR
- Completion of a courses in developmental reading with a letter grade of C or better.
4. Possess a 2.5 Grade Point Average.
5. Provide transcripts from all colleges and/or schools attended.
6. Must be computer literate
1st Year – 1st Semester
|BIOL 2454 Anatomy & Physiology I||4|
|BIOL 2464 Anatomy & Physiology II||4|
|HEAL 1413 Basic Coding & Classification||3|
|HEAL 1113 Medical Terminology||3|
1st year – 2nd Semester
|HEAL 1343 Disease Processes||3|
|*HEAL 1513 Intermediate Medical Coding Prin||5|
|Certificate of Proficiency||22|
*HEAL 1513 Intermediate Med/Coding Prins is a continuation of HEAL 1413. It is considered a “hybrid” course. Students will be required to spend some time in class on campus even though it is an INET class.
For More Information, Contact:
Nursing and Allied Health
Southeast Arkansas College
1900 Hazel Street 1900 Hazel Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71603